Hey peeps, happy travels to wherever you are in the world! Since we get asked a lot on how to get from Bangkok to Chiang Mai by bus, here’s the best way to do so:
Starting from somewhere in Bangkok:
1. Go to the nearest BTS Skytrain station and drive to ‘Mo Chit’.
2. Take one of the public buses to ‘Mo Chit Bus Terminal’ (6 THB per person). The bus will stop next to a canopied market and shop area that you have to cross to get to the terminal (3-4 minutes walking).
3. Go to counter 16 or 17 to get your ticket (company: Bangkok Bus Lines). Prices start from 480 THB (regular) to 580 THB (Super VIP with TV/Internet). The latter is very popular and often booked out. Each ticket includes as well a snack box, water bottle, free meal and a tea. Blankets are provided. Book your ticket here.
5. The total time from Bangkok to Chiang Mai by bus takes about 9.5 hours.
6. Onward transport in Chiang Mai: take a taxi or red bus (Songthaew) if you arrive during the day (100-250THB, depending on where you stay). At night are mostly tuk-tuks around. From 250 THB, don’t forget to haggle.
7. Have fun!